On Thursday, Ole Miss announced the suspension of baseball activities until October 8th due to an outbreak of COVID-19. The announcement comes six days after the start of fall practice and exactly one month into academic year at Ole Miss.
Said Head Coach Mike Bianco, "Player safety is priority number one for our program, and we will take all of the necessary measures to return these players to full health."
Ole Miss has not provided the exact number of positive tests but has planned a two-week hiatus to prevent the spread of COVID-19 and allow players to recover.
"This two-week break will provide us an opportunity to evaluate our team protocols to ensure we are doing everything we can do to be safe while reinforcing with our players to be mindful of their personal activities both on and off campus," said Bianco.
So far, the university has reported a total of 706 cases, including 30 active cases among students.
Ole Miss is ranked fourth in College Baseball Nation's way-too early top 25 and will look to compete at the top of the SEC in 2021.
Ole Miss joins #1 Florida in pausing baseball activities. The Gators suspended baseball activities on September 15th after an uptick in cases on the campus and within the program.